Tuesday 8 April 2014

What do you think of Corrie's Sally and Tim?


(This post was originally posted by Graeme N on the Coronation Street Blog in March 2013.)

I'm loving the new, improved Tim in Coronation Street. When he first arrived on our screens I wasn't quite sure what to make of him, however putting him with Sally Webster has been something of a masterstroke.

Although from a continuity point of view there has been little onscreen interaction with daughter Faye, I'm quite relieved about this. That particular storyline didn't quite work for me and I'm glad Tim has moved away from the fringes of the Windass family. The writers have obviously decided to soften Tim and turn him into a modern day version of Stan Ogden or Eddie Yeats. And this is most certainly an improvement.

At first I couldn't see how Tim and Sally would work, but it's given the writers another outlet for Sally's stuck up Annie Walker pretensions. Tim is much more down to earth and that means they rub along together in a very entertaining way. In some ways Tim is like the young unsullied Kevin Webster we used to know. Sally is all about the social climbing while the only climbing Tim does is up a ladder to clean Emily's windows.

Joe Duttine is a fine actor that Corrie are lucky to have and I'm pleased to see that he is sticking around and being used more effectively. There is a nice little dynamic forming chez Webster. We've seen Maddie find an ally in Tim as they both prepared for Kevin's return. Although the presence of Sophie still jars with me (she's not a nice young woman as far as I'm concerned), I like the Webster household more than I have in a long time.

Kevin's reaction to the preseence of Tim was very much in character and terribly predictable. I'm not overjoyed to see Kev back and I implore the writers not to push Kevin and Sally back together. For the first time in a long old while the powers that be have found a suitable partner for our Sal and I'd hate to see that change.The scenes where the worry was clearly etched on Tim's face when Kevin's return was imminent were both funny and touching as was his attempt at declaring his love for Sally.

So what do you think of Tim and Sally? Are you pleased with the direction the writers have taken Tim?




Follow the Bluenose CorrieBlog on Twitter and Facebook

1 comment:

Daithi_c said...

Sally is more like Hyacinth Bucket (sorry Bouquet) on Keeping Up Appearances, just like she was with Greg Kelly and Danny Hargreaves (remember him? ;)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...