Saturday 1 June 2013

When Corrie's good, it's very, very good

(This post was originally posted by Flaming Nora on the Coronation Street Blog May 2013, reposted to this blog with permission.)

Thursday's Canadian Coronation Street ended with Roy and Hayley on the sofa, in a scene that brought a lump to my throat and reminded me why I continue to watch Coronation Street after 40 years a fan.

It was a scene with no fireworks, no hunk with their top off, no cleavage being shoved in our face, no Stella.

It was a scene that sung out with brilliant acting, a moment that could signal the change of one of our favourite characters, showing a chink in the armour of what is one of the strongest marriages and relationships in Coronation Street's history.

Roy opened up his heart, as much as he's ever done, to Hayley, to his mum and to us the viewers about the disappointment he felt about opening up an old wound - at Hayley's insistence.  The writer was Susan Oudot.

"I had no desire to read that letter," he tells Hayley.
"No, I know that, but..." she tries to interrupt.
"When one is abandoned there is a void as a child," he continues, "even as a teenager and a desire for that relationship which no longer exists, and there are, as you rightly suppose, many unanswered questions. But all of this I'm glad to say is diluted by age, healed by time and I can honestly say that I was contented."
"I know that but he wanted to see you," she butts in again.
"Yes yes, yes and I, I allowed myself to be intrigued by what he might have to say but now I'll never know."
"But you had to read the letter, how could you not?"
"Very easily, at first very easily, but you pushed and you pushed and well, now.... I'm no longer contented."
"Roy, I'm so, so sorry, I only did what was best for you. If I'm in any way to blame..."
"But you are. You are, Hayley. You are to blame."

Bravo to David Neilson and Julie Hesmondhalgh for a wonderful performance.  This is the sort of stuff that should be winning the soap awards for our favourite serial drama.



Follow the Bluenose CorrieBlog on Twitter and Facebook

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...