Wednesday 29 May 2013

Why do you watch Coronation Street?


(This post was originally posted by Graeme N on the Coronation Street Blog in April 2013.)

It's a simple question but I am interested to know what your answers are. It was suggested by an anonymous poster the other day that Coronation Street is something people have on in the background while they conduct their daily lives. Is that true?

Coronation Street has nowhere near the peak viewing figures it had in the 60s, 70s, 80s or even the 1990s. However it does still rate highly each week compared both with its rivals and other programmes. And this is in a time when viewers have three hundred channels to chose from, not just three (or even two when Corrie first started in 1960).

I have mentioned before that I no longer never miss Corrie. I still love it, I still know what is going on, but I feel these days that if I miss two episodes on a Friday it won't really matter as I can tune in again the following Monday without feeling that I have missed out. However when I do watch these days I find more and more that I am multi-tasking watching Coronation Street while doing something else. I may be looking back through rose tinted Deirdre bins, but back in the day Corrie always had 100% of my attention. 

So do we care as much about Corrie and its characters now as we did in the past? Do we make our regular date with the Rovers regulars through habit or choice these days?

I want to know why you still watch Coronation Street each week and if your reasons for doing so have changed.



Follow the Bluenose CorrieBlog on Twitter and Facebook

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I watch because I started with the show when it first aired watched with my mum in England and here I am in Washington State and still enjoying it...I think for me its the nostalgia and childhood memories..the cup of tea as we sat and watched Ena Sharples and Elsie Tanner and all the old faves...its completely different now of course but it still has a place in my heart...never miss thanks to DVD!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...