Monday 15 April 2013

Accentuating the Corrie positive


(This post was originally posted by Graeme N on the Coronation Street Blog in April 2013.)

I have taken a few days away from the blog to reflect on my feelings towards Coronation Street. There have been one or two comments recently suggesting I can be overly negative in my blogs however I have always adored Corrie and I always will. I admit I can be grumpy on occasion but that's just because I care passionately about my favourite television programme. I hope this does come through in my writing.

I am constantly in awe of the Corrie team. It amazes me that the writers, cast and crew manage to produce two and a half hours of television every week of the year. Ok, sometimes I have moaned that Coronation Street is on too often and that less can be more, but I still think those involved deserve a huge pat on the back for keeping the Corrie treadmill on track.  For all the stories and characters that make me mad or make me moan, the Coronation Street of 2013 still provides enough crisp one liners, enough sharp performances and enough little gems to keep us all glued three nights a week.

I know I moan about a lack of continuity sometimes. I was crying out at my telly during Gail's recent spat with Kylie for instance. I would have applauded if Audrey had reminded her darling daughter of her affair with Ian Latimer and the subsequent who's the daddy story. I also wrote at length to express my dismay during the awful mishmash that was Betty's farewell. However it really is all swings and roundabouts. Every so often there is a little gem that surprises us all. I loved Roy's recent mention of Alec Gilroy for example. And every time  I glimpse Alfeh's portrait in Audrey's house it makes me smile.

As for Corrie's current cast of characters, well I've written before arguing that there are too many actors on the cobbles these days. Regular blog readers will also know there are several characters I would gladly see the back of. I will name no names but there are no prizes if you guess correctly. However I think it will be a long time before I find nobody worth watching in Weatherfield. 

Yes, I can be negative but deep down I care very much about Coronation Street and I love writing about it, both to celebrate its triumphs and give it a good kick up the posterior when I think it's deserved!

I'm now going to throw this blog open to you. If you had to choose one positive from Coronation Street recently, what would it be? It can be anything from a storyline or performance to a character or even a particular one liner. 




Follow the Bluenose CorrieBlog on Twitter and Facebook

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Performances by Alan Halsall, Natalie Gumede and John Michie have been outstanding. And if I may be allowed a second positive point - Sylvia's line "I wouldn't be surprised if you haven't a hoodie under that coat" was gold!

Anonymous said...

Tryonne is free and back with his beloved little girl!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...