Monday 18 March 2013

Monday Moan: The British Soap Awards


(This post was originally posted by Graeme N on the Coronation Street Blog in March 2013.)

As you will probably have seen this morning, voting has now opened for this year's British Soap Awards. Much excitement I'm sure. Ok, well maybe not for us, but the fake tan emporiums across the nation will be going into overdrive.

I'm going to have a moan about the Soap Awards I'm afraid. I generally find award ceremonies incredibly dull and cannot bear watching overpaid, over-emotional thespians gush and preen, far removed from the real world. However I do think it is only fair our soap operas have their own ceremony. My problem with these awards is how poorly Coronation Street seems to perform given it is head and shoulders above the competition (even when it's at its worst!)

Looking at the statistics, since the awards started up in 1999, Corrie has won "Best Soap" only four times compared to that southern soap's ten gongs. Corrie has only taken the "Best Actor" prize twice compared to that London drama's nine awards and five Coronation Street ladies have taken home the "Best Actress" award compared to eight from down south. It just doesn't seem right to me! 


I hope these statistics change in Corrie's favour this year. There is no doubt in my mind that Alan Halsall (Tyrone) should win Best Actor. My second moan is why oh why isn't Natalie Gumede nominated in the Best Actress category? I would love to know who decided Corrie's top three because in my opinion it just doesn't make sense! Thankfully Natalie is still up for Best Villain - but I think she deserves the best actress nod. 

So why does Corrie not perform so well? Do other soaps have a younger cross-section of viewers who are more likely to vote by text or online? Are we Corrie fans just shy when it comes to voting? 

Who knows, but I'd like to hear your views both on the awards in general and why you think Corrie sometimes fails to come out on top.

P.S.You can vote for the British Soap Awards here!

Follow the Bluenose CorrieBlog on Twitter and Facebook

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...