Monday 4 February 2013

Why I will struggle to watch Tyrone's Corrie wedding

(This post was originally posted by Graeme N on the Coronation Street Blog in January 2013.)

I read the spoilers for tonight's Coronation Street, knowing full well that it would feature details of Tyrone and Kirsty's much publicised wedding. I've watched the Street long enough to know that no wedding goes to plan in Weatherfield, but in this case the sting in the tail is just too much for me.


I have been thoroughly impressed by both Alan Halsall and Natalie Gumede as this gruelling, harrowing and gripping story has progressed. As Tyrone and Kirsty, they have been utterly believable in their performances. The story has engaged viewers and turned the spotlight on to an important issue. And I think Coronation Street have done the right thing in running with this storyline. However, there are a couple of things that have worried me. And the latest twist has only added to this.

I understand the story has been developed over a long period of time as would happen in real life. However, if Coronation Street was being true to real life I reckon Tyrone would have chosen another option to gain his freedom from Kirsty's abuse. Why go through with the pain and stress of a sham wedding when a simple DNA test would secure his name on the birth certificate? If Tyrone was too muddled to think of this surely Tina or Tommy would have suggested? It just doesn't make sense.



Also, given how thin the walls must be in that terrace, why has nobody heard exactly what has been going on between the two of them? We've had a suggestion in the past that Eileen and Sean have heard raised voices, but I cannot believe they haven't heard enough to know Kirsty is to blame for this.


My third criticism is the involvement of Fiz. I love Tyrone and Fiz together and given their history it makes sense she would try to help Tyrone out of his current situation. However why did the writers have to put them together in an affair? It is stupid beyond belief and tarnishes Tyrone's image as he deals with his dreadful situation. By adding an affair into the mix it also takes the attention away the main focus of this story. I would have much preferred it if Tyrone and Fiz had agreed to wait and be together once they were free of Kirsty. Or am I just being old fashioned?


Finally I just don't think this story has touched enough on the counselling that Kirsty could be receiving. I know Tyrone tried to make Kirsty seek help, but this did not last long. Had the writers not considered that maybe Tyrone could seek help from a counsellor too? I think it would have been a positive step if that side of this issue had been featured more prominently. 

I can't help but think that if this storyline had been featured ten or twenty years ago the wedding would have culminated with the truth coming out about Kirsty's abuse, rather than Tyrone ending up in jail, being accused of being the abuser himself. I may be in the minority here, but for me, the outcome of this wedding, whether it goes ahead or not, is just one step too far.

I know Kirsty will eventually be unmasked as the true villain of the piece, however I hope when this happens it is dealt with sensitively. I'd rather see her leave in order to get help than crash her car into the viaduct. And I do hope at the end of all this Tyrone and Fiz can be together and bring up their children as a family. Knowing Coronation Street though, it won't be as easy as that. Sadly!


Follow the Bluenose CorrieBlog on Twitter and Facebook

2 comments:

ksw said...

Hi there - i beleive the DNA angle was touched upon a few weeks ago. The mother has to agree to the test or else it won't be done. If it's done without her consent it's inadmissable in court.

Tvor said...

Yes i remember that. On the other hand, it didn't stop Kevin from stealing the baby's soother/dummy and getting a dna test done on the sly. Tyrone could have done something like that

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...