Friday 16 November 2012

Street Stars in our Eyes

(This post was originally posted by Clinkers (David) on the Coronation Street Blog in September 2012.)

Admittedly, I do not live a celebrity lifestyle. Not for me a designer mansion in Cheshire and a gallon of Premier Cru Bordeaux. However, another area of my life has brought me into contact with some of the great and not so great stars of TV. Oh yes - I've shared a cuppa and a chat with the likes of Noel Edmonds, Gloria Hunniford and Matthew Kelly. Names that will nothing to those of you peering at this page from Canadian shores. However, despite my love for Corrie and the irreverent ramblings I contribute here, I have never met anyone from the Street.

There. I've said it. My sadness is shared with the world. Many years ago Simon Gregson waved to me. I once shared a departure lounge area at Manchester Airport with Sean Wilson (Martin Platt). Kym Marsh glared at me in London. That is as close as I've ever come to even whispering to a Corrie star.

Yet those around me seem to be bursting at the seams with Corrie-related experiences. A friend once served a cast member in an . . . "adult" shop in London, desperately trying not to exclaim "Oh! It's you!" Another mate, sharing an all-male household, was staggered to bump into a cast member emerging from the bathroom one morning. My younger sister once strolled up to an ice cream van on an housing estate only to discover that Pat Phoenix was dishing up the 99s! Most galling of all though was the admission of a friend, someone I'd known for over a decade, that he was related to one member of the cast but that the family had nothing to do with her because they all thought she was 'stuck up'.

Another good friend met Sue Nicholls on a train, had a lovely time chatting with her and then regaled me with the tale at some length.

In all honesty though, I've never actually gone looking for the great and good of Weatherfield so I'm hardly likely to bump into one of them in Waitrose. What about you? Have you rubbed shoulders with Rita or Bet? Did you once have a coffee with Curly? Were you bowled over by a chance encounter with Gina Seddon or Harry Flagg?

Whoever you met - I'm envious!

Follow the Bluenose CorrieBlog on Twitter and Facebook

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...