Tuesday 19 June 2012

Kym Marsh and Samia Ghadie sign new Corrie contracts

(originally posted by Flaming Nora on the Coronation Street Blog May 2012, reposted to this blog with permission.)

Kym Marsh has signed a three year contract to stay on at Coronation Street, says the Daily Star Sunday.  They also report the contract is worth half a million quid.

Our old friend, the ITV "source" told the Daily Star Sunday: “Kym is a very talented actress and singer. The scriptwriters have come up with some pretty explosive stuff for her and wanted her signed up for three years so it could all play out. The majority of the cast are either on six-month or one-year contracts. They only ever give these types of deals out when they really want to keep someone. There are some major storylines coming up for her and people are going to see a completely different side to Michelle in the months to come.”

So, what do you think about three more years of Kym Marsh as Michelle on Corrie?  I took a long time to warm to her on the cobbles, I'll readily admit. But I've grown to admire her character, she's got a bit of oomph about her in the way that, say, Maria can only ever dream about. And as Michelle is no longer my least favourite character any more as that award goes firmly to St. Ella, I don't mind her staying on the Street at all.  Kym's performance as a young Elsie Tanner in the Street of Dreams musical also gets a thumbs up in all the reviews I've read of the show.  But never mind me, what do you think?



Samia Ghadie, who plays Coronation Street crimper Maria Connor, has signed a new contract that ties her to the soap until September 2013.

In an exclusive interview with Digital Spy, Samia said today: "I've just signed until September next year, so I'll definitely be here until then. After that, who knows? But I've got no plans to leave at the moment."

Samis has been in Corrie as Maria since 2000, when she was initially signed up on a three-month guest contract. Remeber when she played the kennel maid who had been bullied by Fiz at school?

Reflecting on her early days at the programme, Samia told Digital Spy: "I thought I'd do my three months and then I'd be off. I was a jobbing actress when I joined and was really pleased to have a job for three months. I never imagined I'd still be here now."

Follow the Bluenose CorrieBlog on Twitter and Facebook

4 comments:

barbee said...

I haven't liked Michelle from the beginning. From her shiny shiny hair to her enhancements, she has not (IMO) been a fully three dimensional character. She swings from lioness mama to "do we hear about Ryan much and what happened to her biological son?", from devoted friend to b*&^h incarnate, from barmaid to putting together lingerie contracts. I had such hopes that her great singing voice would be put to permanent use on the cruise ships. Oh well, I may end up liking to watch her, kind of like watching Carla - fascinating but certainly not loveable!

missusmac said...

I always thought it was Molly that was bullied by Fizz - and then began to bully Fizz when she showed up on the street? Maria has come a long, long way in looks and importance on the street. Wish someone would come up with a storyline for her!
Like Barbee, I am not a huge Michelle fan. I don't get her at all. She had a ton of baggage when with Steve, but was a little more relaxed and easier to watch when with Ciaran. Um, on second thought, that was probably because I enjoyed watching Ciaran...

Tvor said...

You're right, Maria was never bullied by Fiz at school, Molly was. I'm sure Flaming Nora meant to say that :) Fiz did steal Tyrone from Maria, however.

Rebecca said...

I never really notice when Michelle is away on cruise ships until they make a big deal about her coming back! I have always liked Maria though. I think it would be great if her and Tyrone got back together and settled down as a nice normal couple

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...