Wednesday 9 November 2011

Flaming Nora Hates Tracy Barlow (she's not the only one!)

(This post was originally posted by Flaming Nora on the Coronation Street Blog February 2011, reposted to this blog with permission.)

So, she's back from court and back in Corrie for what looks like the foreseeable future. Well, this is one Corrie fan who wishes Tracy Barlow had never returned to my favourite soap. And  now she's been given a job in the Rovers, it means she's going to be on screen more often than she already is, and I can't help but feel she's ruining the show.

I know that sounds harsh, but I hate the character of Tracy Barlow, I do. From pretending to bed Roy to win a bet with Bev for a quid, to the ridiculous self-harm with the iron to make people believe she was being abused by Charlie Stubbs (a story that was criticised by domestic abuse groups when it was shown), she's a messed-up mental nightmare who doesn't belong on the Street. This soap character needs psychiatric care, not more screen time.

And I hate how she turns Deirdre, one of my favourite Corrie characters, to mum-mush, oblivious to her murdering daughter's faults - of which there are many. Even level-headed Ken seems resigned to living with Tracy's deranged mind.  I know it's only soap. I know it's only one character in a show full of wonderful women and top-class blokes. But when Tracy Barlow comes on screen, my lip curls and my stomach churns because she well and truly spoils Coronation Street.

If only she'd go up to her room to listen to tapes again. And never return.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...