Tuesday 26 July 2011

How brilliant is Mikey North on Corrie?


(This post was originally posted by Seapenguin on the Coronation Street Blog in October, 2010.)

As I'm old enough to be Mikey North's nan (depressing), I'm not going to be gross and pass comment on his "manly appeal" - although I'm quite sure he has it in bucket-loads for the younger viewer.

No. It's his acting ability I'm talking about. I'm sure many people like myself who have family in the Forces will have been very moved by last night's episodes of Coronation Street, in which Gary Windass left for Afghanistan. Personally I find it heart-breaking to see young people, who possibly see no other future for themselves in terms of work and opportunity, heading off to fight with that "I'm doing the right thing" look in their eyes. Mikey has the steely-eyed gaze and the set of the jaw down to perfection, and honestly the whole thing was so poignant I had to reach for the hankies when he left. Goodness knows how this story will end - hopefully, hopefully not with Mikey being blown to bits by a roadside bomb. It was awful to see Anna watching the torment of 24 hour news.

I suppose I've got to mention Eddie Windass looking "very David Niven" sporting a snazzy red turtle neck and what looked like Easi-care drip dry black crimplene trousers - lovely! don't stand near any naked flames, Eddie, else you'll go up like a Roman candle. And speaking of "naked" - I'm still not sure if I was hallucinating, or did I really hear him using the words "naked" and "Black Forest Gateau" in the same sentence? I can't think about that any more else I'll have to re-calibrate my medication (again).

Great stuff all round, anyway.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...