Sunday 3 September 2017

Manchester Pride 2017 - Corrie Style

(This post was originally posted by Sophie Williams on the Coronation Street Blog in August 2017, reposted to this blog with permission.)


Positive vibes, lots of love, and LOTS of glitter. Yes, it was the time of year for Manchester Pride. Having only been to Manchester once in the past, I was more than keen to return to the wonderful city and celebrate the LGBTQ+ community. Tickets and the hotel were booked way back in January so over the last seven months my excitement reached levels that I didn't know excitement could reach. When the time finally came to pack my suitcase and head up north, a little part of me was worried that I had imagined a weekend that couldn't possibly live up to my expectations. That little part of me was soon silenced as even by the first night I was having the time of my life.

But, no matter how excited I was to party the weekend away, one thought remained firmly in my head. I'm in the land of Coronation Street. Nerdy as it may seem, I fangirled my way through the weekend from seeing the Corrie studios, to meeting some of the cast.

Friday was the first full day in Manchester so naturally my friend Laura and I decided that the first thing on our agenda was to hop on a tram and go to Media City. Is it possible to be star-struck by a building? In our case, the answer is most definitely. Some people may think it a bit odd but I was honestly so in awe of it. I mean, this is where Corrie history is made!! It definitely was a fantastic moment for us and I most definitely would go and see it again (even if it is just a building for some). Finding Coronation Street merchandise in a corner shop was also a bonus.


MediaCity is gorgeous!
After seeing the studios, it was the day of the very fabulous Manchester Pride Parade, where the best Manchester has to offer weaves through the city streets being, well, fabulous. The atmosphere was indescribable, there wasn't a shred of negativity to be found anywhere.  Of course though, the highlight of the parade for me was the gorgeously put together Corrie float. Following the theme of “Weatherfield High”, a selection of the cast happily waved at the spectators on the street. The float also payed a wonderful tribute to Martyn Hett which was just stunning. Once the procession had finished, I had the wonderful privilege of meeting Daniel Brocklebank (Billy Mayhew) and Dolly-Rose Campbell (Gemma Winter). They were so immensely lovely and were more than happy to stop for a photo and even a chat. Safe to say I finished Saturday with a very big smile on my face.

How amazing did the Corrie float look?!
Dolly flying the flag.
Daniel and Dolly!
 The geeking-out about Corrie this weekend didn't stop there. Sunday brought us to Annies, Jennie McAlpine’s (Fiz Stape) delightful restaurant in St. Anne's Square. If you haven't been there before and you find yourself in Manchester then I strongly suggest you make your way to Annies. A perfect ambience, it's a brilliant place to have a spot of lunch, afternoon tea or just to have a drink or two.


Monday was our final day in Manchester and what better way to spend it than watch a host of soap stars play table tennis for charity. It was such an entertaining event and it definitely looked like the stars were enjoying themselves as much as the crowd stood along the street outside ‘New York New York’. Corrie stars in attendance included Dolly-Rose Campbell, Chris Gascoyne (Peter Barlow), Mikey North (Gary Windass) and ex-Corrie star Hayley Tamaddon (Andrea Beckett). I also saw that Daniel Brocklebank and Melanie Hill (Cathy Matthews) made an appearance.

Dolly and Chris enjoy a game of ping-pong.
Mikey shows off his skills.
Each star was keen to play against each other as well as members of the public. At this event I couldn’t quite believe it when I also had the pleasure of meeting Hayley and Mikey, who couldn’t have been nicer.

As the table tennis continued, I looked at the time to realise it was time to leave Manchester and head back home. I was gutted to miss the Candlelight Vigil that night, hosted by Daniel Brocklebank, but the videos and photos I’ve seen all look incredible.

It’s safe to say that I have definitely had the best experience of my life this weekend and I really, really did not want it to end.

Written by Sophie Williams. 







Tvor @tvordlj on Twitter

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...