Tuesday 19 September 2017

Imogen arrives tonight - Interview with Melissa Johns

(This post was originally posted by Flaming Nora on the Coronation Street Blog September 2017, reposted to this blog with permission.)

This week, actress and disability campaigner Melissa Johns made her Coronation Street debut as Imogen, a love interest for Kate Connor.
Radio Times online have an interview with Melissa today. She talks about life at Corrie and the visibility of actors with disabilities on TV.

She says that Imogen is "sexy, flirty, feisty and has attitude. Not every disabled person is going to be the same, but I’ve always joked about it. There’s no point crying – the tears aren’t going to fall on my arm and make it grow.

And too often, when someone with a disability gets cast in something, very rarely do they have a personality as well. Usually, it’s a case of ‘having a disability is enough. God forbid there should be something else on top!’

Here, I get to show that I’m at ease with the body I was given. It hasn’t always been that way – I’ve had some really dark moments in my life. It took me a while to feel comfortable with my body. But I now love having one arm."

You can read the full interview here.







Tvor @tvordlj on Twitter

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I did not even notice and then heard a joke about a shark attack or something and I'm like what did I miss...I guess this is it
Karen

Anonymous said...

She has not made a good first impression on me. She is too full on. If she is going to stay she needs to dial it down a bit.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...