Thursday 15 June 2017

Interview: Bhavna Limbachia on her battle with hypothyroidism

(This post was originally posted by Flaming Nora on the Coronation Street Blog May 2017, reposted to this blog with permission.)

Bhavna Limbachia, who plays Coronation Street's Rana Nazir, has spoken this week about suffering with hypothyroidism

Hypothyroidism, also known as having an underactive thyroid gland, is a condition in which your thyroid gland doesn't produce enough hormones and can leave you feeling tired, depressed and gain weight more easily.

Bhavna told the Mirrir: "Around five years ago I noticed I was waking up feeling exhausted every day, as if I'd just run a marathon, despite having had eight or nine hours of sleep a night. I'm an active person and my life as an actress is pretty busy."

"At the time I was filming Citizen Khan so initially I thought I was just run down from that.'

However, as time went on Bhavna started to notice more symptoms that can come with hypothyroidism, such as aching muscles, sore joints, dry skin and hair and sensitivity to the cold.

'I tried to rest a bit more, but then my joints started aching and if I watched television for an hour or two my knees would lock. Initially I thought it was an age thing! But when I explained my symptoms to my doctor - that my hair was getting a bit brittle and that I was sensitive to the cold - I was sent for blood tests.'

'They said there was no cure and I would need medication for ever. That did scare me. I thought it was going to change my life, so being told this felt quite overwhelming.'

The Corrie star is now trying to raise awareness about hypothyroidism,

'Now I've got it myself I'd really like to raise awareness, because it's important for people to know that it isn't the end of the world.'







Tvor @tvordlj on Twitter

2 comments:

Daithi_c said...

I know a lot of folks who have underactive thyroid,
and once diagnosed, getting on replacement therapy, and checking
regularly lead perfectly normal lives. The key is to
get that blood test.

I have the opposite issue hyperactive thyroid,
which is also a whole bunch of no fun for anyone,
but due to it I got a great doctor and endocrinologist
who treated it, and it is in remission, just regular
blood tests to check for recurrence.

Daithi_c said...

Kudos to her for bringing those conditions
to the public notice.

While under active gets in the way of life,
over active can eventually lead to a heart
attack as the body consumes its muscles (including
the heart) to power the hyper metabolism.

so please get tested or at least see your physician,
if you have any symptoms.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...