Monday 15 September 2014

The good, the bad and the Grimshaw


(This post was originally posted by Graeme N on the Coronation Street Blog in August 2014.)

Poor old Jason. He's not exactly blessed when it comes to family is he? I think of all the young characters Corrie has brought in over the years, Jason has developed the most and has come a long way since his introduction back in 2000.

He may not be the sharpest tool in the box but he has turned out to be a loyal friend, hard working and honest. I guess this has a lot to do with his mum Eileen, even if she has filled the house with a load of miscreant boyfriends and boring firemen over the years. I love the touching relationship between mother and son and wish we could see more of it on screen.

I also really enjoy Jason and Eva together. They bring out the best in each other. Thankfully Jason's previous dalliance with Eva's mother has been glossed over. I hope they go the distance and don't fall foul to the usual diet of affairs and break ups. Again though, we need to see more of them together so the relationship can develop.

At the moment, the writers are focussing on Jason's involvement with the dreadful duo of Tony and Todd. Stuart Blackburn has said we will eventually find out more about Todd's life in London and why it has resulted in him turning into a completely unprincipled snake however unfortunately that still seems some way off. 

I'm growing tired of Machiavellian Todd - it's lacking depth and as with Tracy Barlow, it's very much a case of endless nasty remarks and cheap underhand tactics with nothing else to offer. 

Tony is an interesting character. He's not an out and out villain but I think both Jason and Liz McDonald would do well to give him a wide berth. I'm not sure what his game plan is but I do honestly think he cares about his son. He does seem to be capable of going to some lengths to get what he wants though. Terence Maynard is very good in the role and I hope he sticks around for some time.

Ultimately I hope Jason stays on the straight and narrow and builds his business up away from the manipulative machinations of the gruesome twosome. We need to see more of Corrie's younger characters making a success of their lives so let's hope Jason does just that. I'm not quite sure how he's going to get himself out of his current predicament but I don't fancy his chances against Fiz when she's got her dander up.

It's great to see Ryan Thomas get a decent storyline. He has quietly become one of Corrie's real assets and I hope his longevity in the part continues to be rewarded. 


Follow me on Twitter @GraemeN82 



Follow the Bluenose CorrieBlog on Twitter and Facebook

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...