Friday 20 April 2012

Bye Bye Becky, Where would Coronation Street be without you?

(This post was originally posted by Rebecca on the Coronation Street Blog in December 2011.)

Confession time: I kind of sort of know Katherine Kelly. I always thought she was a fabulous actress and I was delighted when she turned up on Corrie. Becky was a Corrie classic, I think, a proper brassy Northern tart-with-a-heart, a character that has a long history in literature and indeed in Corrie. I loved her, and I loved the fact that she argued with everyone, and that she became close - and in many ways a surrogate daughter - to Roy and Hayley.

Where they went wrong with Becky for me was pairing her with Steve. I thought they had absolutely no chemistry and it seemed like he just arbitrarily swapped from a relationship with Michelle to one with Becky. Then Becky turned into a control freak and Steve could never seem to stop her madcap schemes. I was so glad when they split up - now Becky's back to skulking on street corners having a fag. (I do love a bit of this: see also Peter). The age gap between them was never mentioned but should have been - there must be about 10 years between them at least, and this could have been exploited more I think.

I'm sad that she's leaving, but I hope Katherine will be seen on TV in the future. I do think that Becky's time has come to an end; there isn't much else for her to do, I don't think. She would need more of a family and she hasn't got one on the Street. (Mind you, neither does Steve, especially if HOPEFULLY he and Tracy break up, but no one seems in a rush to get rid of him - more's the pity). She's also never really been that friendly with the other women on the street, although I did love her recent scenes with Lloyd. I do think that Becky is a Corrie classic, if not yet an icon, and who knows we may see her in the future - but for now I bid a fond farewell to her.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I too will miss Becky,her antics were some of the best scenes. Steve is just sooo monontonus,with his dumb fake faces. I am glad he married Tracy. Beks was right, they deserve each other!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...