Saturday 21 April 2012

Becky Granger - was redemption a mistake?

(This post was originally posted by Seapenguin on the Coronation Street Blog in October 2011.)

Katherine Kelly will be leaving Coronation Street fairly soon, and I never thought I'd say this, but I'll be sorry to see her go.

I really liked her as Kelly Crabtree's skanky mate, but quickly went off the character when she got involved firstly with "Royston and 'Ayles" and then "Stevie-babes". The Corrie team seemed determined to "rehabilitate" Becky, but sadly they went way OTT. It was completely overdone, cloying and nauseating, and in my opinion a total mistake. For quite a spell, Becky seemed to dominate every episode and had me literally reaching for the remote. And the "Kylie and Maxie" storyline was awful, awful, awful.

However, I've warmed to her again since she split up with Steve, left the Rovers and started working in the factory. Her scenes with Kirk have been funny, and her scenes with Tracy Barlow would be good, if (I'm sorry to say it) Kate Ford was a better actress. She's also gelling well with Sylvia, Roy's mum. All in all, I'm finding the character much more interesting and watchable now, just as she's leaving! I'd very much like to see Becky with a juicy exit story, because Katherine Kelly really does deserve it.

Anyone else have a view on this?

1 comment:

Suburban Princess said...

I have been loving her lately too. Hated the whole Maxie storyline with her sobbing and guzzling voddy in the alley. Such a lovely scene with her going up the escalator...can't wait to watch it again tomorrow!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...